Everyone must evacuate the building by way of the safest and closest exit and/or stairway. Never use an elevator to exit during a fire alarm activation. Once outside the building, move away from the building. Assemble across the street or along the sidewalk of the adjacent building.
What happens when a fire alarm is activated?
When the fire alarm system is activated, the following will occur: A. The bells will sound alerting building occupants of emergency conditions. … Notification of the testing will be posted by the building engineer at each building entrance and in the elevators on the day of the fire alarm test to inform occupants.
What is the best way to respond if you hear the fire alarm has been activated?
General evacuation procedures –If you hear the fire alarm or are instructed to leave the building: a. Immediately obey evacuation alarms and orders. Tell others to evacuate.
What should you do if you hear the evacuation alarm?
If the evacuation alarm sounds, or if instructed to do so by a Warden, leave the building by the nearest and safest exit route. All doors should be closed (but not locked) on leaving. If possible take hand held personal belongings (such as handbags and briefcases) with you when you leave.
How do you activate the fire alarm?
To activate a Fire Alarm, pull the handle on one of the red fire alarm boxes. In all cases of fire, call 911 immediately. Someone must report the fire. Do not assume someone else is making this call, make the call yourself!!
How long does a fire alarm go off for?
Next time you change the battery in your smoke detectors, be sure to check its age, as well. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, most alarms have a life span of 8-10 years. After this time, the entire unit should be replaced.
What is the best response to a fire?
Activate Alarm and notify others. Activate nearest audible fire alarm by pulling the handle down on alarm.
- If the fire cannot be extinguished safely, evacuate the area horizontally to the next safest smoke compartment.
- Do not open any door without first feeling it near the top.
What do you do in case of a false fire alarm?
Do not call the Fire Service if you know for certain that it was a false alarm. If it is a false alarm, and they have already been summoned, tell the Fire and Rescue Service why it is a false alarm and be prepared to show them the cause. This will help them to deal with the situation in the shortest possible time.
What 3 items are in a fire safety plan?
This Fire Safety Plan must include:
- the measures to be taken to minimize the likelihood of fire at the site and to control the spread of fire;
- the emergency procedures to be followed in case of fire, including: activation of alarms, notification of the fire department, and.
When you hear a smoke alarm you should?
What to do if you hear the fire alarm
- Evacuate the building immediately see university policy 851.03.01.
- Follow the directions of the Fire Wardens for your building.
- Notify other occupants to leave the building.
- Close all doors behind you if it is safe to do so.
- Do not use any elevators.
What is the correct order of evacuation?
There are two types of evacuation: 1. Lateral evacuation – This is an evacuation of all occupants in an area threatened by fire, through the fire/smoke barrier doors, to a safe area on the same floor. 2. Vertical evacuation –This is an evacuation of all occupants on a floor threatened by fire to a safe floor.
What can you do when you hear the fire alarm in your work place?
Fire Alarm Evacuation Policy
- Never ignore or assume the alarm is false or the result of a test.
- Everyone must evacuate the building by way of the safest and closest exit and/or stairway.
- Never use an elevator to exit during a fire alarm activation.
- Once outside the building, move away from the building.