Aim: Aim low, pointing the nozzle or hose at the base of the fire. Do not touch the horn on a CO2 extinguisher, it gets very cold and can damage the skin. Squeeze: Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent. Sweep: Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire, the fuel source, until the fire is out.
What method should you apply when using a fire extinguisher?
P.A.S.S. the Fire Extinguisher
- Aim: Aim the nozzle of the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze: Squeeze the lever you just pulled the pin out of. Remember to squeeze it slowly and evenly, so it is as effective as possible.
- Swipe: Swipe from side to side to cover all areas the fire may have spread to.
What is fire extinguisher method?
The basic methods for extinguishing a fire are to suffocate it by ensuring that it cannot have access to oxygen, to cool it with a liquid such as water which reduces the heat or finally to remove the fuel or oxygen source, effectively removing one of the three elements of fire.
What is the best defense against fire?
As always, the best defense against a fire is to be prepared. Take a moment to look at your fire extinguisher.
What are 4 ways to extinguish a fire?
Control measure knowledge
- The fire tetrahedron identifies the four components needed for burning to take place. …
- All fires can be extinguished by cooling, smothering, starving or by interrupting the combustion process to extinguish the fire.
What are the 4 types of fire extinguishers?
There are four classes of fire extinguishers – A, B, C and D – and each class can put out a different type of fire. Multipurpose extinguishers can be used on different types of fires and will be labeled with more than one class, like A-B, B-C or A-B-C.
What’s the immediate step to do if your clothes catch fire?
If your clothes catch on fire:
- Stop what you’re doing.
- Drop to the ground and cover your face if you can.
- Roll over and over or back and forth until the flames go out. Running will only make the fire burn faster.
Does water make fire worse?
Water Makes Grease Fires Worse
Never try to extinguish a grease fire with water. Water can cause burning grease to splash, which can make the fire spread. Similarly, it is also dangerous to move a pan or pot of burning oil.
Which of the following is the first line of defense in case of fires?
Introduction. Since fire is a common hazard that one faces in a science and engineering laboratory, it is important to be prepared and to know how to deal with a fire emergency. Fire extinguishers are a first line of defense, only if used properly, and under the right conditions.