Can you get sick from wood burning stove?

“Exposure to wood-burning smoke can cause asthma attacks and bronchitis and also can aggravate heart and lung disease.” People with heart or lung diseases, diabetes, children and older adults are the most likely to be affected by particle pollution exposure.

Can wood stove make you sick?

Wood-burning stoves may keep you warm and cozy, but they can also be hazardous to your health. You might notice effects such as coughing and shortness of breath within a few days (and sometimes even within a few minutes) of exposure to the fumes.

Are wood-burning stoves safe for your health?

Wood-Burning Emissions Threaten Lung Health

Emissions from wood smoke, discussed below, can cause coughing, wheezing, asthma attacks, heart attacks, lung cancer, and premature death, among other health effects. Many of these pollutants can worsen air quality indoors and outdoors.

Is burning wood harmful to humans?

Although the image of a log fire is often associated with the holidays, romance and cozy nights inside shielded from plummeting temperatures, experts say wood-burning appliances are a threat to lung and heart health. They emit harmful air pollutants and fine particles that can enter the lungs and bloodstream.

Is burning wood carcinogenic?

There are over 100 hazardous chemicals released from wood burning that can be toxic and carcinogenic (cancer-causing). For example, Benzene and Formaldehyde are two carcinogens released from burning wood.

IMPORTANT:  What is a Grade B fire alarm?

Can you burn wood indoors?

When a Spare the Air Alert is called due to high levels of fine particulate pollution, the Air District’s wood-burning regulation makes it illegal indoors and outdoors throughout the Bay Area to burn wood, fire logs, pellets, or other solid fuels in a fireplace, wood stove, outdoor fire pit, or other wood-burning …

Can wood burning stoves cause headaches?

Pollutants in wood smoke can cause the eyes, nose and throat to burn with irritation, and even cause headaches, nausea and acute bronchitis in some people.

Fire safety