Aim the nozzle or outlet towards the base of the fire. Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside. To stop discharge, release the handles. Sweep the nozzle from side to side as you approach the fire, directing the extinguishing agent at the base of the flames.
What is the proper way to operate a fire extinguisher?
When operating a fire extinguisher, tell residents to remember the word PASS:
- Pull the pin. Hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
- Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
- Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
What is fire extinguisher method?
The basic methods for extinguishing a fire are to suffocate it by ensuring that it cannot have access to oxygen, to cool it with a liquid such as water which reduces the heat or finally to remove the fuel or oxygen source, effectively removing one of the three elements of fire.
Which is the correct sequence of operation to be performed when using the fire extinguisher?
Answer: The correct answer is A, Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep.
What are the 4 types of fire extinguishers?
There are four classes of fire extinguishers – A, B, C and D – and each class can put out a different type of fire. Multipurpose extinguishers can be used on different types of fires and will be labeled with more than one class, like A-B, B-C or A-B-C.
What stops fire from spreading?
Examples of passive fire protection: … Fire doors: If sealed using the correct materials, fire doors act as barriers which prevent the fire from spreading. Cavity barriers: These block the paths for flames and fumes to follow, acting as another way to diminish the threat of fires spreading.
What are the 4 steps for using a fire extinguisher?
The acronym PASS is used to describe these four basic steps.
- Pull (Pin) Pull pin at the top of the extinguisher, breaking the seal. …
- Aim. Approach the fire standing at a safe distance. …
- Squeeze. Squeeze the handles together to discharge the extinguishing agent inside. …
What are the four steps to be followed in the event of a fire?
In the event of a fire, the following steps should be taken to ensure the safety of all building occupants:
- Activate the fire alarm.
- Call 911 immediately and provide information.
- Assist injured personnel or notify emergency responders of the medical emergency.
- Exit the building following emergency maps.
What is the best defense against fire?
As always, the best defense against a fire is to be prepared. Take a moment to look at your fire extinguisher.
What is basic fire safety?
Put smoke alarms/detectors in strategic locations in your home, such as the kitchen, near bedrooms, and near fireplaces or stoves. Install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, including the basement. Replace batteries in smoke detectors once a year. Check your alarm twice a year.