There is a big difference between fire protection and fire prevention. Fire protection uses tools and processes to maintain safety and reduce hazards associated with fires. Fire prevention involves the steps that can prevent a fire from occurring.
What’s the difference between fire safety and fire protection?
Fire prevention involves proactive steps taken to reduce fire hazards so that a fire does not have a chance to ignite. … Fire protection includes alarms, suppression systems, sprinkler systems, extinguishers, and any technology that allows you to alert people or monitor the fire.
What is the importance of fire protection and fire prevention?
2) Saving Lives and Minimising the Damage. Having effective procedures and measures in place can save lives. Fire alarms, smoke detectors, emergency lighting, fire exits and escape routes are all measures that can be taken to minimise the damage of fires when they do occur.
What is the meaning of fire prevention?
: measures and practices directed toward the prevention and suppression of destructive fires.
What is fire Safety & measures of fire prevention?
Put smoke alarms/detectors in strategic locations in your home, such as the kitchen, near bedrooms, and near fireplaces or stoves. Install at least one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, including the basement. Replace batteries in smoke detectors once a year. Check your alarm twice a year.
What are the 4 goals of fire protection?
Four goals: (a) prevent fire from starting, (b) prevent loss of life in case fire does start, (c) confine fire to its origin, and (d) extinguish fire.
What are some fire safety tips?
Top Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. …
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP.
Why should we prevent fire?
Fires affect thousands of companies each year resulting in injury, lost customer trust and building damage. By establishing a fire prevention and preparedness program, you can help avoid injuries to your employees and visitors, costly damages, and potential fines to your business.
What are the 3 goals of fire prevention?
The goals of fire-prevention programs include preventing loss of life, property damage, and downtime in use of a building. Fires often can cause disruption of business activities, loss of business documents, loss of employee work hours, and liability claims resulting from the spread of fire to adjacent properties.
What is the first step in fire prevention?
Are you fire safe in the home?
- Installing an adequate number of suitable smoke alarms and testing them regularly is the first step in your home fire safety plan.
- Having a written escape plan in case of fire and practicing it regularly.
- Make sure keys to all locked doors are readily accessible in case you need to escape.
What is fire safety plan?
A fire safety plan is a detailed document that covers all aspects of fire safety for a specific building or property. … A safe and orderly way for occupants to evacuate the building. Proper maintenance and housekeeping required to prevent fires. Methods of control that minimize the damage from fires when they do occur.
What are the basic fire prevention techniques?
Ways to prevent fire incidents:
- Avoid unattended or careless use of candles. No open flames are allowed inside any Tufts University building.
- Keep BBQ grills at least 10 feet from the house. …
- Do not disable smoke or CO detectors. …
- Do not smoke indoors. …
- Do not leave your cooking unattended.